Specimen Technician - Hospital
Specimen Technician -Hospital - Roanoke,VA - 06:30am-5:00pm every other weekend Saturday/Sunday
*Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required – unvaccinated individuals will be subject to regular testing.
The Hospital Specimen Preparation Technician (HSPT) is responsible for daily preparation of patient specimens from hospital clients. The HSPT must demonstrate a mastery of all functions of specimen preparation for submission to multiple Quest Diagnostics facilities, as well as Rapid Response Laboratories (RRL). The HSPT works with minimal direction. Additionally, since many changes do occur from day to day, great flexibility on the part of the HSPT is required. The majority of HSPT work is on the day shift, but flexibility is required for weekends, holidays, on-call, and overtime based on client requirements.
- Responsible for preparation of patient specimens for hospital clients and pick up by couriers.
- Responsible for positive daily client interactions representing Quest Diagnostics to the customer (face-to-face and/or telephone).
- Prepares and arranges all stat testing needs, researches pending results, alerts Hospital IT to communication failures, accepts and troubleshoots incoming calls to the Hospital Lab from Quest Diagnostics facilities.
- Demonstrates excellent proficiency in test ordering policies, procedures, specimen requirements for test ordering, sample preparation,Care 360 and compliance/legal requirements.
- Troubleshoots and problem solves client issues related to area of responsibility.
- Communicates and collaborates effectively with the Hospital Lab Manager, as well as the Quest Diagnostics sales team and other functions in the organization.
- Relays client concerns to Quest Diagnostics supervisor and sales. Participates in sales/operations review of account.
- Communicates information regarding problem-solving with specimens, test cancellations, testing requirements, billing requirements with various hospital staff, such as phlebotomy, outpatient draw centers, laboratory managers, department supervisors, Hospital IT Analysts, physicians, nurses, and pathologists.
- Develops understanding of the company processes, as well as the client expectations.
- Develops understanding of the compliance policies related to test ordering.
- Researches test ordering information on translation tables, computer systems, and the directory of services.
- Understands the complex relationship between test(s) ordered and specimen received.
- Completes all required written documentation, legibly and within the assigned timeframe
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Work Experience:
Preferred Work Experience:
- Medical background which includes medical terminology applicable to a clinical laboratory.
- Previous laboratory, customer service or hospital experience
Physical and Mental Requirements:
The position requires demonstrated data entry skills to effectively utilize both the Quest Diagnostics system and the hospital client systems.
High School Diploma or Equivalent(Required)
“I love working here because Quest has been my second family and second home. I've experienced a wholesome work environment, and good management.”- Quest Employee
- Phlebotomist I Seattle, Washington 03/21/2023
- Phlebotomy Supervisor Freedom, California 03/21/2023
- Phlebotomist I Longview, Washington 03/21/2023
No jobs have been viewed recently.
No jobs have been saved.
Quest Diagnostics is an equal employment opportunity employer. Our policy is to recruit, hire and promote qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other status protected by state or local law. Quest Diagnostics observes minimum age requirements established by federal, state and/or local laws, and will ask an applicant for verification when deemed necessary.