Specimen Technician III
At a glance
Behind every one of the millions of tests we carry out, you’ll find our Specimen Management team. It’s thanks to their care and dedication that patient specimens move through each stage of the testing process in an accurate and timely manner. It’s challenging and meaningful work that will give you the chance to innovate, problem solve, and grow your skills to build a satisfying and rewarding career.
“When you open the bag, it’s not just a piece of paper. It’s not just tubes that you handle. It’s the patient’s life that you are servicing, and you want to give them the best results.”- Josephine Mendoza Valdizno, Manager, Specimen Management, Processing
What makes a successful candidate? See if you have what it takes.
See how your career can grow
The possibilities in Specimen Management are numerous. That means endless opportunities to make your mark on promoting a healthier world. As part of the Specimen Management team, you’ll gain new skills and discover a welcoming workplace that helps you meet your career goals. You’ll also participate in mentoring and professional development programs that take your talents to the next level. It all starts here. Here is just one example of a career path you can take.
- Specimen Management Technician Specimen Management Technician
- Sr. Specimen Management Technician Sr. Specimen Management Technician
- Specimen Management Group Lead or Trainer Specimen Management Group Lead or Trainer
- Specimen Management Supervisor Specimen Management Supervisor
- Additional Advancement Opportunities Additional Advancement Opportunities
Specimen Technician III - Portland, ME - 05:00 - 08:00 (Rotational Weekends)
*Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required
This position has mastered all duties of the Specimen Processing Technician II. Work is highly self-directed, and role may include additional responsibilities such as client communications, internal training and problem solving related to special accounts and compliance. This individual will have completed the necessary training consistent with local business practices for Specimen Processing. Strong proficiency is required in test ordering policy and specimen requirements related to test ordering as well as accuracy and production standards. This position will be more involved in complex processing including but not limited to: Microbiology processing, Frozen splits, Send outs, Cytology processing, irreplaceable specimens (spinal fluid, bone marrow, etc.); Special handling; allergies; serial; pediatric specimens.
- Demonstrates proficiency in responsibilities of the SPT II and understanding of all job duties and SOP’s related to the Specimen Processing department
- Demonstrates knowledge and understanding available resources to fill in for any function within the Specimen Processing department as necessary
- Demonstrates a thorough understanding of how Specimen Processing impacts the testing laboratory
- Identifies problems and in some cases, may resolve issues with specimen types such as missing information etc.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the compliance policies related to test ordering, which requires developing the ability to research test ordering information on translation tables, computer systems, and the directory of services
- Understands the complex relationship between test(s) ordered and specimen received
- Completes all required documentation, legibly and within the assigned timeframe
- Meets standards for production and accuracy within 3 months
- Validates and verifies orders for other employees
- May assist in training employees in any Specimen Processing job function and may provide ongoing training
- Adheres to all Quest Diagnostics policies and procedures, including Safety and Compliance
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Work Experience:
Internal candidates must have a minimum of 9 months experience and be meeting all performance standards in the SPT II role
Preferred Work Experience:
- Medical background preferred which includes medical terminology applicable to a clinical laboratory
- Previous experience in a production environment preferred
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Position requires data background with abilities to enter 6,000 alphanumeric keystrokes/hour
- Works in a biohazard environment, practicing good safety habits
- Able to sit or stand for long periods
- Handles multiple tasks simultaneously and works in a production environment
- PC skills in MS office applications
- Communicates effectively with all levels of internal and external staff
- Maintains composure while working under pressure
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills that fosters a positive attitude at all times
- Demonstrates flexibility and is able to adapt to changes in work assignments
- Demonstrates strong leadership and ability to resolve complex Specimen Processing related questions/issues
High School Diploma or Equivalent
We’ve built a welcoming, inclusive workplace where people are inspired to learn, develop, and progress in their careers. There’s stability, so you can explore many career paths in one field. There’s flexibility, helping you to build a fulfilling life and rewarding career. There’s training and development to align your work with your business success. No wonder there’s more to discover at Quest.Learn more
We’re committed to helping our people live a healthier lifestyle. One way we do this is by offering a comprehensive total rewards package, so you can take care of yourself and the ones you love. Find out how our benefits provide you with everything you need to thrive—now and in the future.
Medical, supplemental health, dental, and vision
From medical, dental, and vision coverage plans designed to meet your needs, to supplemental health plans for an additional layer of financial protection, you can rest assured that your health is high on our agenda.
Annual incentive plans
All eligible employees are invited to participate in our success in our annual incentive bonus plan payout.
You’re eligible to join the Quest Diagnostics 401(k) Plan on your date of hire. The company will match up to 5% of your annual salary.
- Rep, PS I (Phleb) Oakland, California 05/29/2023
- Rep, PS I (Phleb) Fremont, California 05/29/2023
- Technologist, Medical II Yakima, Washington 05/29/2023
No jobs have been viewed recently.
No jobs have been saved.
Quest Diagnostics is an equal employment opportunity employer. Our policy is to recruit, hire and promote qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other status protected by state or local law. Quest Diagnostics observes minimum age requirements established by federal, state and/or local laws, and will ask an applicant for verification when deemed necessary.