Specimen Technician II
At a glance
Behind every one of the millions of tests we carry out, you’ll find our Specimen Management team. It’s thanks to their care and dedication that patient specimens move through each stage of the testing process in an accurate and timely manner. It’s challenging and meaningful work that will give you the chance to innovate, problem solve, and grow your skills to build a satisfying and rewarding career.
“When you open the bag, it’s not just a piece of paper. It’s not just tubes that you handle. It’s the patient’s life that you are servicing, and you want to give them the best results.”- Josephine Mendoza Valdizno, Manager, Specimen Management, Processing
What makes a successful candidate? See if you have what it takes.
See how your career can grow
The possibilities in Specimen Management are numerous. That means endless opportunities to make your mark on promoting a healthier world. As part of the Specimen Management team, you’ll gain new skills and discover a welcoming workplace that helps you meet your career goals. You’ll also participate in mentoring and professional development programs that take your talents to the next level. It all starts here. Here is just one example of a career path you can take.
- Specimen Management Technician Specimen Management Technician
- Sr. Specimen Management Technician Sr. Specimen Management Technician
- Specimen Management Group Lead or Trainer Specimen Management Group Lead or Trainer
- Specimen Management Supervisor Specimen Management Supervisor
- Additional Advancement Opportunities Additional Advancement Opportunities
Specimen Technician II - Plymouth, MA - Friday 2:00PM-10:30PM
This position in Specimen Processing is responsible for knowing all of the functions of the SPT I, plus additional functions. This individual will have completed the necessary training consistent with local business unit practices for Specimen Processing and shows proficiency in the following areas: Test ordering policy, specimen requirements related to test ordering. Additionally, must meet accuracy and production standards, and must meet all the job accountabilities and job requirements/environment indicated in the SPTI job description. This position is involved in more complex processing which could include but not limited to A Station, Frozen, CPU (incl. hospital), and Micro.
- Demonstrates proficiency in responsibilities of the SPT I
- Meets/exceeds productivity and quality standards
- Solves more complex problems on a routine basis
- Demonstrates a basic understanding of how Specimen Processing impacts the testing laboratory
- Identifies problems and in some cases, may resolve issues with specimen types such as missing information etc.
- Understands the complex relationship between test(s) ordered and received
- Completes all required written documentation, legibly and within the assigned time frame
- Meets standards for production and accuracy within 3 months
- Adheres to all Quest Diagnostics, Inc. policies and procedures, including safety and compliance.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Required Work Experience:
Internal candidates must have a minimum of 9 months experience and be meeting all performance standards in the SPT I role
Preferred Work Experience:
- Medical background preferred which includes medical terminology applicable to a clinical laboratory
- Previous experience in a production environment preferred
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Position requires data background with abilities to enter 6,000 alphanumeric keystrokes/hour
- Works in a biohazard environment, practicing good safety habits
- Able to sit or stand for long periods
- Handles multiple tasks simultaneously and works in a production environment
- Communicates effectively with all levels of internal and external staff
- Maintains composure while working under pressure
- Keeps work area neat and clean
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills that foster a positive environment
- Demonstrates flexibility and is able to adapt to change
High School Diploma or Equivalent
We’ve built a welcoming, inclusive workplace where people are inspired to learn, develop, and progress in their careers. There’s stability, so you can explore many career paths in one field. There’s flexibility, helping you to build a fulfilling life and rewarding career. There’s training and development to align your work with your business success. No wonder there’s more to discover at Quest.Learn more
We’re committed to helping our people live a healthier lifestyle. One way we do this is by offering a comprehensive total rewards package, so you can take care of yourself and the ones you love. Find out how our benefits provide you with everything you need to thrive—now and in the future.
Medical, supplemental health, dental, and vision
From medical, dental, and vision coverage plans designed to meet your needs, to supplemental health plans for an additional layer of financial protection, you can rest assured that your health is high on our agenda.
Annual incentive plans
All eligible employees are invited to participate in our success in our annual incentive bonus plan payout.
You’re eligible to join the Quest Diagnostics 401(k) Plan on your date of hire. The company will match up to 5% of your annual salary.
- Lab Assistant - Histology - On Call Pompano Beach, Florida 05/29/2023
- Phlebotomist II (Part-Time) Leander, Texas 05/29/2023
- Phlebotomist I Bellaire, Texas 05/29/2023
No jobs have been viewed recently.
No jobs have been saved.
Quest Diagnostics is an equal employment opportunity employer. Our policy is to recruit, hire and promote qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other status protected by state or local law. Quest Diagnostics observes minimum age requirements established by federal, state and/or local laws, and will ask an applicant for verification when deemed necessary.