Specimen Processing Supervisor
Las Vegas, Nevada
At a glance
Behind every one of the millions of tests we carry out, you’ll find our Specimen Management team. It’s thanks to their care and dedication that patient specimens move through each stage of the testing process in an accurate and timely manner. It’s challenging and meaningful work that will give you the chance to innovate, problem solve, and grow your skills to build a satisfying and rewarding career.
“When you open the bag, it’s not just a piece of paper. It’s not just tubes that you handle. It’s the patient’s life that you are servicing, and you want to give them the best results.”- Josephine Mendoza Valdizno, Manager, Specimen Management, Processing
What makes a successful candidate? See if you have what it takes.
See how your career can grow
The possibilities in Specimen Management are numerous. That means endless opportunities to make your mark on promoting a healthier world. As part of the Specimen Management team, you’ll gain new skills and discover a welcoming workplace that helps you meet your career goals. You’ll also participate in mentoring and professional development programs that take your talents to the next level. It all starts here. Here is just one example of a career path you can take.
- Specimen Management Technician Specimen Management Technician
- Sr. Specimen Management Technician Sr. Specimen Management Technician
- Specimen Management Group Lead or Trainer Specimen Management Group Lead or Trainer
- Specimen Management Supervisor Specimen Management Supervisor
- Additional Advancement Opportunities Additional Advancement Opportunities
Specimen Processing Supervisor | Las Vegas, NV
Monday to Friday and Rotational Weekends
Supervise functions within the Specimen Processing department, which may include one or more of the following: Specimen Processing, Test in Question/Problem Resolution, Imaging/Microfilming. Responsible for overseeing the following activities, daily operations of Specimen Processing, all compliance training, training of personnel, monitoring Quality of the department(s), monitor and improve productivity. Ensure maintenance of a safe, ergonomically sound, professional environment. Know and understand all functions of the department.
- Responsible for daily operations of department which may include responsibility for Imaging/Microfilming, Test In Question and some Problem Resolution Client Service functions
- Oversees safety, ergonomics, maintenance, and cleanliness of department (including upgrades, repairs, etc.)
- Develops and implements Standard Operating Procedures for Specimen Processing in accordance with Quest Diagnostics guidelines
- Reviews Specimen Processing Standard Operating Procedure Manual on a biannual basis and ensures departmental compliance. Identifies need for revisions and/or additional SOP’s as indicated
- Where applicable, ensures all Federal, State & local licensure requirements are met, working with the QA and Medical Director’s offices
- Ensures all documentation is complete and reviewed as required for internal and external inspection/audit
- Ensures all employees meet Compliance Guidelines and Competency Testing. Ensures all employees receive adequate training and meet annual competency requirements
- Monitors incoming workflow from Logistics and make necessary changes to ensure adequate supply of specimens to technical departments
- May supervise packing and shipping of specimens to other laboratories, in accordance with IATA regulations
- Ensures integrity of specimens sent to other facilities meet the criteria necessary to provide accurate and timely results
- Monitors special handling of Jeopardized Clients, Hospital Clients and Vital Specimens to ensure there are no mishandled specimen(s)/patient requisitions
- Demonstrates leadership skills in employee relations, scheduling, new employee onboarding, team meetings, coaching, performance management
- Establishes and motivates a participative work environment that actively encourages and supports employee involvement.
- Disseminates all essential information in a timely manner, using various forms of communication to all departmental staff.
- May track/enter time/attendance of employees
- Prepares month-end reports
- Investigates/resolves and responds in a timely manner to internal and external customer issues appropriately and effectively
- Prepares schedules for department employees, maintains adequate coverage for department
- Oversees and ensure adequate supply inventory for the department
- Ensures continuous process improvement and/or standardization initiatives are implemented in accordance with established deadlines
- Participates in the interview, selection, and hiring of new employees
- Responsible for coaching, development, supervision, and succession planning of staff
- Monitors ongoing performance of employees; provides corrective action and counseling as required. Prepares and administers annual performance reviews
- Assists in ensuring fiscal responsibilities of the department are met which includes implementation of cost containment programs, management of overtime, participation in standardization initiatives and needs assessment for capital expenditures
- Participates on Quest Management System (QMS) and Process Improvement Teams, or other initiatives to meet business objectives
- Organizes and lead projects both within the workgroup and with cross-functional groups
- Meet all deadlines assigned by the manager
- Effectively works with Technical departments to resolve problems. Must have the interpersonal skills to gain cooperation with other departments, and foster continuous improvement
- Excellent organization, communication, and interpersonal skills; is able to manage concerns of clients, technical departments, and employees in a professional manner
- All other duties as assigned
Required Work Experience:
Internal candidates require a minimum of two years in a Group Leader/related role
Preferred Work Experience:
- 5 years experience in a laboratory; Medical or production background preferred
- Previous people leadership experience preferred
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Works in a biohazard environment, practicing good safety habits
- Handles multiple tasks and works in a production environment
- Must have the mental alertness and high energy required to appropriately perform job.
- PC skills, MS Office applications
- Excellent leadership, organization, communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to interact effectively with internal and external customers.
- Monitor and provide a safe work environment, prepare incident reports and implement preventative measures
- Act in a professional manner at all times.
- Must be able to adjust schedule to meet business requirements, which may include extended hours.
- Knowledge of systems tools such as COGNOS, Oracle, EMPower, Kronos
We’ve built a welcoming, inclusive workplace where people are inspired to learn, develop, and progress in their careers. There’s stability, so you can explore many career paths in one field. There’s flexibility, helping you to build a fulfilling life and rewarding career. There’s training and development to align your work with your business success. No wonder there’s more to discover at Quest.Learn more
We’re committed to helping our people live a healthier lifestyle. One way we do this is by offering a comprehensive total rewards package, so you can take care of yourself and the ones you love. Find out how our benefits provide you with everything you need to thrive—now and in the future.
Medical, supplemental health, dental, and vision
From medical, dental, and vision coverage plans designed to meet your needs, to supplemental health plans for an additional layer of financial protection, you can rest assured that your health is high on our agenda.
Annual incentive plans
All eligible employees are invited to participate in our success in our annual incentive bonus plan payout.
You’re eligible to join the Quest Diagnostics 401(k) Plan on your date of hire. The company will match up to 5% of your annual salary.
- Lab Assistant - Histology - On Call Pompano Beach, Florida 05/29/2023
- Phlebotomist II (Part-Time) Leander, Texas 05/29/2023
- Phlebotomist I Bellaire, Texas 05/29/2023
No jobs have been viewed recently.
No jobs have been saved.
Quest Diagnostics is an equal employment opportunity employer. Our policy is to recruit, hire and promote qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other status protected by state or local law. Quest Diagnostics observes minimum age requirements established by federal, state and/or local laws, and will ask an applicant for verification when deemed necessary.