Medical Laboratory Scientist - Flow Cytometry
At a glance
Every day as a Quest career professional, you’ll work in a dynamic, collaborative environment with the latest cutting-edge technology. As a laboratory operations team member, you will play a key role in ensuring that the highest standards of quality, safety, and integrity are upheld while meeting the needs of our patients. And, you’ll be supported by a company committed to helping you grow a rewarding career through cross training and comprehensive learning opportunities.
What makes a successful candidate? See if you have what it takes.
See how your career can grow
With a world of opportunities in our supportive environment, you’ll take your career to the next level. From collaborating with senior leaders on meaningful work, to on-the-job training, we are committed to fostering your growth, so you can build a successful career. Here is just one example of a career path you can take.
- Lab Associate Lab Associate
- Lab Technician Lab Technician
- Lab Technologist >Lab Technologist
- Lab Supervisor or Trainer Lab Supervisor or Trainer
- Additional Advancement Opportunities Additional Advancement Opportunities
Medical Technologist - Flow Cytometry
Perform test procedures of moderate/high complexity requiring the exercise of independent judgment and responsibility in those specialties in which they are qualified by education, training and experience.
- Perform and report on assigned analytical tests in accordance with applicable Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) ensuring that applicable quality control requirements are met.
- Actively support and comply with laboratory policies and procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analysis, reporting and maintaining records of patient test results.
- Adhere to analytical schedules to maintain turnaround time of results including STATS or critical results to clients.
- Ensure reagents/test kits have received dates, expiration dates and if applicable opened dates.
- Perform and document QC analysis to ensure accuracy of clinical data and proper instrument function. Make quality control decisions regarding the disposition of an assay or test.
- Responsible for informing supervisory personnel of all problems associated with the proper performance of test procedures.
- Report any actual or potential deviation from standard or accepted testing procedures and cooperate fully with any investigation of same.
- Enter test results into the Laboratory Information System for standardized report to be generated for physician review and interpretation.
- Maintain laboratory areas and equipment in a safe, functional and sanitary condition.
- Complete training and competency checklists as appropriate.
- May assist supervisor with training of other laboratory personnel.
- Adheres to all established CLIA, HIPAA, OSHA and laboratory safety requirements.
- Required to use (a) personal protective equipment, (b) engineering controls and/or (c) work practice controls as directed by management.
- Answer questions from clients or other lab personnel, if applicable.
- Participate in government or regulatory agency inspections, if needed.
- May be required, in the absence of a Supervisor, to assume lead responsibilities if qualified and delegated.
- Other duties as assigned. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities, but rather a general description of work performed by the position.
Required Work Experience:
Minimum one (1) year full-time experience or training (high complexity testing) in a clinical laboratory setting for those with BS/BA in Chemistry or Biology
Preferred Work Experience:
One (1) year full-time experience or training (high complexity testing) in a clinical laboratory setting preferred.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- The normal performance of duties may require lifting and carrying objects: Objects 1 to 10 pounds are lifted and carried frequently; objects 11 to 25 pounds are lifted and carried occasionally; objects 36 to 50 pounds are seldom lifted or carried and objects over 50 pounds are not to be lifted or carried without assistance.
- Ability to stand and work at the bench for long periods of time.
- Frequent walking and/or standing.
- May be required to use a wide variety of manual and automated pipettes and laboratory instruments and apparatuses all of which demand significant manual dexterity.
- Basic theoretical and operational job knowledge in designated specialty required.
- Knowledge of organizational/departmental policies and procedures.
- Must be detail-oriented, have the ability to work independently, establish work priorities and to handle several tasks simultaneously for maximum department efficiency.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to deal courteously and effectively with supervisors, co-workers, and clients.
- Communication skills necessary to handle telephone inquiries from clients.
- Ability to deal with client information in a confidential manner.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook) and Laboratory Information Systems.
While we appreciate and value our staffing partners, we do not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies.Quest will not be responsible for paying agency fees for any individual as to whom an agency has sent an unsolicited resume.
We’re committed to helping our people live a healthier lifestyle. One way we do this is by offering a comprehensive total rewards package, so you can take care of yourself and the ones you love. Find out how our benefits provide you with everything you need to thrive—now and in the future.
Medical, supplemental health, dental, and vision
From medical, dental, and vision coverage plans designed to meet your needs, to supplemental health plans for an additional layer of financial protection, you can rest assured that your health is high on our agenda.
Annual incentive plans
All eligible employees are invited to participate in our success in our annual incentive bonus plan payout.
You’re eligible to join the Quest Diagnostics 401(k) Plan on your date of hire. The company will match up to 5% of your annual salary.
Quest Diagnostics is an equal employment opportunity employer. Our policy is to recruit, hire and promote qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other status protected by state or local law. Quest Diagnostics observes minimum age requirements established by federal, state and/or local laws, and will ask an applicant for verification when deemed necessary.