Lab Assistant II
At a glance
Every day as a Quest career professional, you’ll work in a dynamic, collaborative environment with the latest cutting-edge technology. As a laboratory operations team member, you will play a key role in ensuring that the highest standards of quality, safety, and integrity are upheld while meeting the needs of our patients. And, you’ll be supported by a company committed to helping you grow a rewarding career through cross training and comprehensive learning opportunities.
What makes a successful candidate? See if you have what it takes.
See how your career can grow
With a world of opportunities in our supportive environment, you’ll take your career to the next level. From collaborating with senior leaders on meaningful work, to on-the-job training, we are committed to fostering your growth, so you can build a successful career. Here is just one example of a career path you can take.
- Lab Associate Lab Associate
- Lab Technician Lab Technician
- Lab Technologist >Lab Technologist
- Lab Supervisor or Trainer Lab Supervisor or Trainer
- Additional Advancement Opportunities Additional Advancement Opportunities
Lab Assistant II - Chantilly, VA - Friday to Tuesday
Department: Spec Chem - LCMSMS - Clin Lab
Performs various routine laboratory functions in a precise and accurate fashion to assist the laboratory professional staff and to facilitate production.
- Perform specimen receiving, labeling, handling and preparation.
- Assist with pre-analytical preparation of specimens (e.g., printing labels, uncap/cap specimen tubes, aliquot specimens, prepare racks, worklists, enter/scan specimens and load automated instruments).
- Record digital temperature; notify licensed personnel if temperature is out of range.
- Perform routine instrument maintenance on some equipment.
- Assist in preparation of chemicals, reagents and solutions.
- Clean, organize and maintain work area, glassware and laboratory equipment (e.g., refrigerators, freezers and supply cabinets, as needed).
- Assist with monitoring the department pending and overdue lists, which includes, searching, locating, following up and filing appropriate documentation.
- Perform other departmental tasks such as filing, archiving and retrieving slides/blocks, reports, requisitions/other paperwork and answering the telephone.
- Dispose of biohazardous material.
- Enter data in laboratory information systems (LIS).
- Perform QA/QC duties as assigned.
- Complete training and competency checklists as appropriate.
- Comply with all health and safety policies, procedures and practices. Required to use personal protective equipment.
- Other duties as assigned. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities, but rather a general description of work performed by the position.
Required Work Experience:
One (1) year full-time experience in a technical or clinical laboratory department.
Preferred Work Experience:
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- The normal performance of duties may require lifting and carrying objects: Objects 1 to 10 pounds are lifted and carried frequently; objects 11 to 25 pounds are lifted and carried occasionally; objects 36 to 50 pounds are seldom lifted or carried and objects over 50 pounds are not to be lifted or carried without assistance.
- Ability to stand and work at the bench for long periods of time.
- Frequent walking and/or standing.
- May be required to use a wide variety of manual and automated pipettes and laboratory instruments and apparatuses all of which demand significant manual dexterity.
Basic knowledge of organizational/departmental policies and procedures.
- Must demonstrate the ability to follow a series of steps without confusion or errors on an on-going basis and retain the information once learned.
- Must be detail-oriented, have the ability to work independently, establish work priorities and to handle several tasks simultaneously for maximum department efficiency.
- Communication and interpersonal skills necessary to deal courteously and effectively with supervisors, co-workers and clients.
- Ability to deal with client information in a confidential manner.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook) and Laboratory Information Systems.
High School Diploma or Equivalent(Required)
We’ve built a welcoming, inclusive workplace where people are inspired to learn, develop, and progress in their careers. There’s stability, so you can explore many career paths in one field. There’s flexibility, helping you to build a fulfilling life and rewarding career. There’s training and development to align your work with your business success. No wonder there’s more to discover at Quest.Learn more
We’re committed to helping our people live a healthier lifestyle. One way we do this is by offering a comprehensive total rewards package, so you can take care of yourself and the ones you love. Find out how our benefits provide you with everything you need to thrive—now and in the future.
Medical, supplemental health, dental, and vision
From medical, dental, and vision coverage plans designed to meet your needs, to supplemental health plans for an additional layer of financial protection, you can rest assured that your health is high on our agenda.
Annual incentive plans
All eligible employees are invited to participate in our success in our annual incentive bonus plan payout.
You’re eligible to join the Quest Diagnostics 401(k) Plan on your date of hire. The company will match up to 5% of your annual salary.
- Rep, PS I (Phleb) Oakland, California 05/29/2023
- Rep, PS I (Phleb) Fremont, California 05/29/2023
- Technologist, Medical II Yakima, Washington 05/29/2023
No jobs have been viewed recently.
No jobs have been saved.
Quest Diagnostics is an equal employment opportunity employer. Our policy is to recruit, hire and promote qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other status protected by state or local law. Quest Diagnostics observes minimum age requirements established by federal, state and/or local laws, and will ask an applicant for verification when deemed necessary.